Chrome Font Display Issues
I recently took up the Google Chrome challenge and ditched Safari to see if the habit took. Sure enough I’m loving Chrome, although I noticed that some sites displayed type incorrectly. Replacing fonts with peculiar glyphs and generally screwing up.
I checked the sites in Safari and Firefox, and the type displayed perfectly. So, what do I do?
Well, I noticed that the typeface in question was Arial, common enough. So I thought, maybe Chrome is looking in the wrong place? I use Font Explorer to manage my fonts, so I tried deactivating every Arial font on my system. Then I closed Chrome and reactivated all the Arial fonts again. Effectively re-setting the Font Explorer library entry for Arial. Guess what? It worked!
However a day later the same thing happened again. I successfully went through the same rigmarole again, but now, two weeks later, I’m beginning to ignore the display error, which is hardly ideal.
Seems a bit rubbish to me.
Here’s a picture of the offending bug. If anyone can suggest a more permanent solution I would be grateful.
After scrabbling about I finally I found a solution. It turns out that it’s actually an issue with FontExplorer X Pro. You need to make sure that it is set up to answer font requests from Chrome.
Here’s how you do it.
FONT EXPLORER X PRO > PREFERENCES > FONT REQUESTS and add Google Chrome to the list and ENABLE (or Allow) the PERMISSION.
I hope this brief post is of some use to someone out there.